Sunday, May 4, 2008

So we don't all sound like George Bush

Here's the list of the top 100 most often mispronounced words.

I'm feeling sensitive to it lately from getting a dose of so many accents (Californian, New England, Canadian, Albertan (ah!), South-western US), and keep picking up mistakenly pronounced words all the time.

However, I'm not perfect either, so here's my list from the top 100 that I know I mispronounce (excluding the ones I think are stupid like "champ at the bit" - what?):

barbituates should be "barbiturates"

dialate should be "dilate"

diptheria should be "diphtheria" (I had no idea actually)

'erb should be "herb" (supposedly)

jewlery should be "jewelry" (which I knew but meh)

long-lived should be "long-lived" (go look it up!)

often should be "ofen" (what???)

persnickity should be "pernickity"

silicone should be "silicon" (no, it's Silicone Valley)

supremist should be "supremacist"

No comments: